If you’ve ever had needle phobia, you might like to learn about a new technology referred to as an “anesthesia wand,” which is a computer-controlled dental-injection tool. In fact, some people feel it is more of a “magic” wand because it doesn’t look like a typical injection and it works even better by making the entire process virtually painless.
Here’s how it works
Your anesthesia will be delivered through a syringe-free wand or pen-like device that is connected to a computer. Before the tiny needle attached to the wand is inserted, the computer delivers a small amount of anesthetic so that the insertion site starts going numb before the needle enters the skin.
Once the needle is in place, the computer delivers an accurate, consistent amount of anesthesia so that you remain comfortable — typically below the threshold of pain. The computer’s microprocessor automatically adjusts the injection pressure for different tissue densities, maintaining a constant, comfortable flow of anesthesia. This is important because the culprit with most injection anxiety is discomfort from anesthetic being injected too quickly, not from the needle entering the skin.
What are some advantages of using an anesthesia wand?
- One of the most important advantages is that it doesn’t look threatening, as it eliminates the initial anxiety upon seeing a syringe.
- It can be used in conjunction with other conscious sedation methods (i.e. nitrous oxide) for a more comfortable treatment.
- It provides painless injections for all routine dental treatments including root canals, crowns, fillings, and cleanings.
- With the wand, you will receive a more consistent and comfortable injection, especially in more sensitive areas such as the front of your mouth or in your palate (roof of your mouth) where tissue is less elastic.
- Due to the wand’s penlike grasp, it is easier to handle, rotate, and accurately glide the wand into precise, hard-to-reach places to deliver anesthetics.
- Last but not least, many people who previously experienced a fear of injections are able to overcame their fear after the first use. This provides them with a better, less stressful dental experience.
Contact us today!
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest or concern about your dental health. We’re here to help.
Locations & Hours
Monday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
What Our Patients Are Saying
“Probably my favorite dentist office. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They make you feel welcomed and take such good care of everyone.”
“This office has been such a joy to work with. I’ve always been terrified of the dentist, but for some reason I have never been nervous to see the dentist here.”
“This is such a wonderful dental office. Our whole family feels more than comfortable here and the kids love Dr. Field!”
Schedule a Consultation Today
and find out just how refreshing it can be to get the dental care you and your family deserve!